Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Kevin Gets Sick

(No Hometown View on Monday, 6/30 or Tuesday, 7/1)

When was the last time you got out of bed in the morning and pronounced yourself fit and ready to take on the day? I hope to be doing that this morning but to be honest I wasn’t 100% sure so that’s why I did this segment in advance. Late Sunday afternoon I was hit by a virus, which started with a headache and included chills and sweats at the same time. Before long the virus settled in my stomach and for the better part of 36 hours had me doing more ups and downs than a relief pitcher in a long season…I had to include some sports analogy.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not a good sick person and most of the time I’m thinking about the work I should be doing. However a nasty stomach virus changes your priorities and on a couple of occasions I was ready to make a deal with the man upstairs for some relief. The last thing I ate before getting sick was sausage and I swear I can still taste it….I’m pretty sure I’ll never eat it again. For a couple of days the thought of food was enough to make me turn green and except for scrambled eggs I consumed nothing solid for 48 hours. The optimist in me says that’s a good start on a diet but the realist says probably not.

The point I was trying to make in the beginning is even when we’re 100% healthy we never really say how good we feel. However once you get hit with any sickness or illness all you’re asking for is to feel good again. In my case a little virus is nothing to make much of but think about all those people who are really sick in which it’s not going to run its course in 48 or 72 hours.

I hope for those people, especially young children there will be a day when they can wake up, stretch out and say “I feel great” because it’s something we take for granted far too often.

No comments: