Monday, October 27, 2008

How To Lose A Vote

If you are undecided on Election Day choices for everything from President to local municipal races I have a suggestion which may help your decision-making. Vote for the candidates who did not come into your home uninvited and stay far too long. I’m not talking about the old-fashioned way they and their volunteers used to campaign when they would knock on your door and leave bumper stickers, a pencil and some literature. I’m talking about the electronic phone calls which frankly have me on edge and wanting to scream.

The other day I came home and saw I had three messages and all of them were from candidates or should I say were for them. There was even a message from one of the candidates’ children telling me why I should vote for her father. Are you kidding me…I had to listen to all three before I could delete them and the worst is you can’t even respond to a live person telling them to leave you alone. At least one did leave a phone number to call if I wanted more information on his campaign and for a moment I thought about it but was afraid I would just get a staffer who would read a list of talking points off index cards.

At least when you get junk in the mail you can just throw it away, you can tune out radio and TV commercials but these long-winded phone solicitations are just that and I don’t like being solicited on the phone. So if you want my vote don’t call or maybe try me once and once only because after that you’re in trouble.

On a somewhat related note I have noticed more and more businesses displaying signs on their property making it clear who they are voting for and wondering why. I mean if you’re in business you want to attract customers and I’ve got to believe some potential ones stay away if they strongly disagree with your choice. It does not matter who you are voting for there are many people picking the other guy so what’s to gain by making your feelings public. It just can’t be good for business.

No comments: