Thursday, January 8, 2009

14 Pains Worth Enduring

One of my favorite magazines is Men’s Health even tough I’m often frustrated that it seems to be aimed at men who are in great shape,
very successful with plenty of money, are savvy when it comes to technology and travel quite a bit. However despite this I look forward to perusing each issue and this month’s “Guys List” caught my attention. The list is 14 pains worth enduring as it tells us that while we all get hurt we are made stronger by the process and the new year should include some new scars. I’ve edited these a bit

1. Going all in, and losing. This of course is a gambling term when
playing Texas Hold’Em and I would imagine if you have ever
experienced the feeling it’s not a good one.
2. Splurging on a $1000 suit. A pain not in my immediate plans.
3. Watching The Notebook. It stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams and I have seen it and don’t recall a lot of pain. The
article says you will impress women by remembering the plotline.
4. Buying a SaladShooter. I must not watch enough late-nite TV.
5. Fumbling through a bad date. Since I have not been on a date in
more than 27 years the sting and pain of the bad ones has actually
gone away.
6. Eating ramen noodles. I hope this pain is never realized.
7. Dating a high-maintenance bombshell. What’s the difference
between that and marriage?
8. Running for president or campaigning for any long-shot score
whether it is personal or professional. Been there…done that.
9. Drinking green beer. Never have, never will. Well, never say never.
10. Taking all-you-can-eat wing night literally. Isn’t that why they make Pepto-Bismol?
11. Undergoing a colonoscopy. No excuse not too…may save your life.
12. Visiting Disney World. Once was enough.
13. Lying to your mother. If you have not done so before you have
had a boring life. When you come home at 9AM and tell her you were asleep at Bob’s house it’s a lie and she knows it.
14. Training poorly, then competing anyway. They talk about the pain of being passed in the race by a 52-year old man. That’s my age and while I have not passed anyone in a while I think I should pass when my subscription expires.

No comments: