Wednesday, August 12, 2009

MC Kevin Williams

With tongue in cheek I say that over the years I’ve been a pretty popular guest speaker or Master of Ceremonies at many events for the simple reason that I did them for free. Groups would think that offering me a free meal was compensation enough and for many years I gladly accepted invitations to get out and meet people and promote the radio station. Like all good things that trend had to end and over time I finally learned how to saw “no” to the many invitations that would turn 12 hour days into 16 hour ones.

Don’t get me wrong…as my wife will tell you there are many nights when I don’t go home after work because I’m at some event in which my time is my donation. However I pick and choose very carefully and really only do the ones that I want to and last night was one of them. After a long day at work I headed to Woodlake Country Club in Lakewood where the Jackson Liberty High School Football Parents Club was holding their 4th Annual Golf Outing. I of course don’t play golf but was on hand to MC their awards dinner and have done so for all four of the fundraisers because of Dale Orlovsky and Tim Osborne. Dale is an attorney and restaurant owner in Toms River and many years ago he asked to MC a golf outing he was running. We teamed up for years and when Osborne was named the first-ever football coach at Jackson Liberty, Dale decided to help support his friend during a golf outing and I naturally got the call. Frankly I don’t mind because I like both of them very much so there I was last night poking good-natured fun at golfers and others that I don’t really know. If I offended anyone…tough.

By the way noticeably absent at the dinner was Dale, who had to take off early for work reasons. He wasn’t even there to accept the award for being part of the winning foursome for the third straight year but his son Christopher, now an attorney in his Dad’s firm accepted on his behalf along with the others. Christopher said he carried the old man on the course all day…he might as well carry his plaque.

Coach Osborne and the Parents Club did a terrific job and the outing seemed to be a big success. They’ll probably offer me the same contract and call me back next August….I’ll see if I can make it again.

No comments: