Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Vice President Williams

I have to tell you….doing this segment every morning is not easy. There
are some days that I know just what it is I want to share with you and I hit
the keyboard running around 5:30am. Then there are others, especially lately when I look at a blank computer screen for what seems like an eternity
before something comes in my head which will later come out of my mouth.

Let’s face it, this is a great responsibility. A couple of minutes twice a morning on this radio station to say anything I want….within reason of course. I don’t have to worry about listeners being upset and complaining to the boss because in most cases that complaint would end up coming back to me. Say for example I offered opinions which ticked you off so much that you had to express your feelings. So you call the office during business hours and Joyce answers the phone. As she does often she then listens to you go on and on and finally asks “do you want to speak to Kevin because he’s here pretty much 12 hours every day.” You say no but you would like to speak with someone. She might offer the Program Director but he is usually very busy so the best you can do is leave a message in his voicemail.
You however really want to speak with someone direct so Joyce then says,
“what about our Vice President of Quality Control? This seems like the right person to speak with because as far as you’re concerned what I said and talked about did not have much quality and this is what you want to address.

Anyway you are now directed to the newest company Vice President at Millennium Radio but when your call is forwarded you are greeted with, “Kevin Williams, can I help you?” You are now ticked off at Joyce because you think she made a mistake so you quickly have to make a decision. Do you speak with me even though you don’t want to or do you simply tell me it’s a mistake and you got the wrong extension. You think for a split second and then decide to weasel out and simply hang up. By the time you recover from this you conclude that it wasn’t worth all the hassle. That’s the secret to me still being on the air…the complaints never get past me.

No comments: