Monday, November 2, 2009

Baseball, Politics & Soccer

While I know there are a lot of Yankees and Phillies fans totally into this World Series I have to tell you I don’t find it very exciting. I don’t know what it is but as a sporting event the “Fall Classic” just has not done much for me and it’s not because I don’t like either team. Maybe it’s all the rain or the fact that it’s November and we’re still playing baseball but I hope it ends tonight so we can concentrate on football. Maybe that’s the problem with the Giants…they are paying too much attention to the Yankees because it sure doesn’t like they’ve been prepared to play the last three weeks.

Speaking of ending…another trash-talking, negative-filled campaign has finally hit the homestretch and today will be the last day we’ll have to put up with the venom spewed in the New Jersey Governor’s race. It’s also the last day I’ll have to listen to those annoying phone messages on behalf of the three candidates although frankly I enjoyed hearing from Sarah Palin on Saturday. I tried to engage her in conversation about her family but she kept going on and on like she couldn’t hear me. I have been undecided about who to give my lukewarm support to but have finally made a decision and all I can say is us weight-challenged guys have to stick together. Back to those phone messages for a moment. The worst ones are those dealing with local town-wide elections…they pull no punches and frankly are a bit embarrassing.

Congratulations to the Ocean County College Women’s Soccer team as for the second straight year they’ve won the Region 19 Tournament. The Vikings needed penalty kicks to outlast Camden County College and they will now host the NJCAA District C Championships on Friday in Toms River.

The early-morning commute around Ocean County should be a bit easier this week as public schools are closed all week long. With Election Day and the NJEA Teachers Convention this week schools county-wide and in much of New Jersey have taken a recess. Word is that if you go to Disney World this week you’ll likely find it’s filled with people from New Jersey.

No comments: