Monday, November 15, 2010

Back From Surgery

Well I’m back and I’d like to say better than ever but I never was any good so what’s the difference. Last Tuesday I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my left knee which is the same surgery I had a couple of years ago on my right knee. As he did the first time Dr. Greg Foos of Professional Orthopaedic Associates performed the operation at the Toms River Surgery Center which I can’t say enough good things about. The staff was professional and personable and it made for a great experience. I’m a bit sore and stiff and go back to Dr. Foos for a follow-up today but am glad to be back. I also want to thank my wife Jane for taking great care of me and putting up with my grunts and groans.

As some of you probably know I am among the 7 who pick the winners of high school football games each Friday in the Asbury Park Press. The other six are sportswriters for the paper and I’m sort of the guest expert although frankly I have spent most of the past two years in last place. However two weeks ago I was 22-5 to move from 7th to 4th place and this past weekend I was a perfect 16-0 in predicting the first round playoff games and have moved into a tie for 3rd place…just a game out of first. Remember, it’s not how you start the race but rather how you finish.

I have been blessed to come in contact with some impressive and interesting people over my lifetime and no doubt Bucky Walters was one of them. I had him for a teacher at Central Regional High School in the early 1970’s but really got to know him well in the summer of 1977 when I worked at the tennis courts on the bay front in Seaside Heights. Bucky would play nearly every morning and then we would spend time talking and he had plenty of stories. He was an outstanding athlete and an avid surfer well into his adult years. He was an Army Ranger who fought on the beaches of Anzio in World War II. Like many of his era Bucky was humble and rarely talked about himself but he was happy to talk about his sons Bucky Jr. and Harry, the later was a football star at Maryland and later played professionally in Canada. I tell you all of this after receiving an email Sunday that Bucky Walters had passed away. There will be no service but I for one will have great memories of an outstanding teacher and a real man’s man.

No comments: