Thursday, April 21, 2011

Only 56 Years Ago

I am always interested in pieces that show how times have changed so getting an email titled “That’s only 56 years ago…comments made in the year 1955” really caught my eye. After all it’s just a year before I was born. Here are some of them and my oh my what a difference five decades makes:

• I’ll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are it’s going to be impossible to buy a week’s groceries for $10.00
• Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won’t be long before $1000 will only buy a used one.
• Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter?
• If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00 n hour nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.
• I’m afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying “damn” in Gone with the Wind, it seems every new movie has either “hell” or “damn” in it.
• Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000 a year? It wouldn’t surprise me if someday they’ll be making more than the President.
• It won’t be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.
• The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.
• If they think I’ll pay 75 cents for a haircut, forget it.
• I never thought I’d see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric.
They are even making electric typewriters now.
• If cigarettes keep going up on price, I’m going to quit…20 cents a pack is ridiculous.
• I’m afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.
• When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon. Guess we’d be better off leaving the car in the garage.

No comments: