Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Kevin Does Pilates

Several weeks ago one of our Account Executives asked me if I would consider Pilates and then do commercials for the exercise program on the radio. Of course two things came to my mind….what exactly is Pilates and what if I hated them or it? The answer to the first part is it’s a program of exercise and movement that will stretch, strengthen and balance your entire body. The name itself comes from Joseph Pilates who originally created the concept during World War I to rehabilitate injured soldiers. As for the second part….well that’s not an easy answer.

Pilates By The Bay is a 1,500 square foot studio in Downtown Toms River
and is not to be confused with a gym. The place is private and peaceful and filled with all kinds of equipment that to be very honest was completely foreign to me. Having no idea what to expect I met Dana who is the Director and Senior Instructor. My first 60-minute session was as much an introduction as anything else to not just the equipment but the concept and I quickly found out my body was being asked to do things it had not done in a long time….if ever. Pilates is not an aerobic workout but is very challenging. After my first session I was non-committal about the entire thing…I just wasn’t sure. Well each time I have gone back I’ve enjoyed it….if you can enjoy having your body stretched and twisted and pushed in many different ways. Dana and Patty have both been extremely patient although I think they enjoy having a 53-year old man to beat up as most of their clients are women.

On that subject. Since I have been doing commercials for Pilates By The Bay many people have commented by saying they can’t believe I am actually doing this. I reply with something like, do you know what the Orlando Magic, Washington Wizards, Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Bucs and Milwaukee Brewers all have in common? No, not just that they are professional sports teams but they all use Pilates as part of their strength and conditioning programs. See, real men do Pilates and I am a real man….sort of.

On an unrelated note I will be one of the judges for tonight’s finale of the Crabs Claw Inn’s $1000 Karaoke contest. Greg Walls (Lavallette), Judy Mekles (Lavallette) and Kim Spinelli (Toms River) are competing for the top prize.

No comments: