Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Pet Fish

Let me first say that I do not dislike animals and have nothing against pet owners even thought comments around the office would lead some to believe that. Growing up we not only had dogs but an outside kennel and I loved our beagles and a mutt named “Judy” who was like a family member and lived until she was about 17 or 18 in people years.

While my wife and I never really had a desire to have a pet our children lobbied on a couple of occasions and finally about 12 years or so ago the timing was right. We purchased a golden retriever puppy from a good friend and within a few days had invested hundreds of dollars and thought we were set. Without going into great detail over the next couple of weeks it became obvious to all of us that this was not going to work. Attempts to sell “Bailey” and at least recoup a bit of our investment were unsuccessful and eventually we gave her away to a family that lived on a farm with plenty of pets and animals and a promise to take care of her.
As my young daughter said at that time when asked why we bailed so early, “we’re just not a dog family.”

Flash forward to today and we are very happy to be pet-less although I do have a backyard pond with about 15 goldfish and koi. Due to the number I have not given them names but I do speak with them on a somewhat daily basis during feedings and they seem happy and content. Soon they basically call it a season as my pond will be closed and they will virtually disappear for about six months.

As for the purpose of this segment today….well there really isn’t one. I am somewhat amazed at the commitment many of you make to your pets. If you’re single I can understand as your dog or cat (sorry but they are all creepy to me) gives you companionship. However I could never grasp getting up during the night in rain or cold weather to take your dog out. Plus have you ever looked carefully at someone walking a dog carrying a bag which will be used to clean up the dog’s mess? Well they look like a marathoner after about 20 miles….pure agony. Then there’s the subject of what to do when you go away for a dinner, weekend or vacation. It’s just not for us although we are a good fish family.

No comments: