Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Seniors Say The Darndest Things

Merely mention the word “senior citizen”…especially in Ocean County and you’ll get plenty of mixed reaction. However I find that next to young children seniors may be the most interesting age demographic and they are often as different as night and day.

Tuesday at the Ritacco Center 1160 WOBM AM hosted their 7th annual Senior Lifestyle and Health Expo and a few thousand people came out to the free event, which featured many shore area business that market and service those in their golden years. There were health screenings, food tastings, seminars, prize drawings, entertainment and more and I did most of the on-stage announcing during the day. Many of the people know me as we’ve bumped into each other at this and other events over the years. I’m often amazed at their recall as they remind me of conversations we had a year ago and inquire about my children and family.

You may remember years ago Art Linkletter hosted a show called “Kids Say the Darndest Things” which I loved because he revealed how brutally honest kids are. I’m not so sure that you couldn’t have a program today…”Seniors Say the Darndest Things” for the same reason. Many of the older folks will tell you just how they feel…they’re not concerned about being politically correct and was one said to me Tuesday…”what do I care what people think…how much longer am I going to be around anyway.” One lady came up to me and paid me a compliment on losing weight from the last time she saw me….however before I could say thank you see added that I was really looking bad and it’s a good thing I went on a diet. You have to admire the candor.

Let’s be honest….seniors (and you know who you are) can be tough. I mean we were playing “free” bingo games with prizes and some complained about a variety of things from having to fold back to the cards to the fact that didn’t like a prize…even though it was free. I heard it all yesterday...complaints, suggestions, praise….you name it….they said it.

Most of what I heard made me laugh and you can’t let everything our seniors say get to you. After all…if we’re lucky enough…we’ll all be there one day.

No comments: