Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Kevin Becomes An Allergy Sufferer

For years I would listen and watch as allergy sufferers struggled through this time of year praying for the pollen to stop falling and for their coughing, sneezing and wheezing to go away. Allergies had never been a problem for me…well that’s actually not completely true. When I was 15 years old and experiencing some sinus problems I was put through the rigors of a complete test to find if allergies were the problem. When the report came back the doctor informed me I was allergic to only two things….beer and peanuts.
This was devastating news for a teen-ager to hear but it turned out it was no big deal and I’ve happily enjoyed both over the years.

Getting back to allergies….I assumed that once you get to a certain point in life they will never be an issue. However based on what I’ve heard and are experiencing myself it appears that is not the case. I have been struggling for the past month with a cough that just won’t go away. For the first couple of weeks I assumed it was some type of cold, especially because my wife had pretty much the same symptoms. Like me she had never been troubled during allergy season but came back from her doctor with a diagnosis that it was pollen and the like causing her problems. We were both surprised but more and more I’m hearing from people that they are suffering this month like never before….many for the first time ever. I’m headed to see my doctor next week and I’m guessing that I’ll get the word that at age 51 I’m officially a first-time allergy sufferer. I have great sympathy for those of you who have dealt with this year after year and I’m looking forward to end of the so-called allergy season.

The Girls Scouts of Ocean County have held a Golf Classic for 22 years and I’ve been the Master of Ceremonies for just about all of the Awards Dinners at the end of the day. Well over 100 golfers enjoyed a marvelous day at Sea Oaks Golf Club Tuesday and helped raise more than $44,000 for Girl Scout programs. Golf Classic co-chairmen Bill McNamara and Bill MacDonald,
along with their committee and Girl Scout officials once again put together a terrific event…the glorious weather was compliments of Diane Rhine.

No comments: