Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Post Holiday Weekend Thought (Tues)

It would be hard to complain about the weather this past weekend as it was good enough to allow most scheduled outdoor activities to proceed as planned. There have not been too many Memorial Day weekends in which I actually got to the beach but Saturday I spent most of the day on the 2nd Avenue in Seaside Park where I saw some familiar faces from past summers, one of the reasons why I like setting up shop on the same beach year after year.

The holiday weekend also meant that you needed your beach badges and if ever I needed a reminder that time is flying by I got it Saturday morning.
While I sat reading the newspaper I watched the girls, known as “rovers” walking the beaches and checking to see if people had their badges..my 15-year old daughter was one of them.

You need to keep Yankee fans away from sharp objects these days as the news goes from bad to worse. Monday’s loss drops them 7 games under .500 and into a tie for last place in the American League East. The 13 ½ games they trail Boston is the farthest the Yanks have been out of first place since 1995 and many fans have written off the season. However they are only 7 ½ games out in the wild card race which is not out of reach with well over a 100 games left in the season.

A Toms River team will play for the South Jersey Group 4 Baseball championship later this week. That’s guaranteed because North hosts South today in the sectional semifinals with the winner to advance into the title game Friday. The Mariners have won two of the three meetings so far. Manchester and Point Beach also have sectional semifinal games today as do the softball teams from Toms River East and Central.

Shore Regional is a name synonymous with success in Girls Lacrosse so it would not come as a surprise to find the Blue Devils in the Finals of the Shore Conference Freshman Tournament. Today they will travel to Toms River South where the Indians have reached the championship game after a thrilling 10-9 semifinal win over Holmdel Friday, a game in which South scored the final five goals. As I’ve said before there is nothing more exciting than watching your child compete in athletics and I’ve enjoyed watching my daughter Alex and the rest of the South freshman, who’ve lost only one game all season. Good luck to Coach Meyers and the Indians!

No comments: