Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer Solstice

Today is not a holiday, although it’s noted on most calendars. There are no gifts associated with it and as far as I know there’s not a Hallmark card for the occasion either. At the same time today is one of my favorite days of the year and one I lament as well.

Welcome to the first official day of summer…the three-month period I and many others live for which goes a lot faster than any other three months of the year. Summer at the shore may have some drawbacks but it’s why we put up with winter at the shore. The next 13 weeks have plenty of special events, like the Toms River Rotary Club’s 2nd annual Family Beach Party on Saturday at Shelter Cove, the 67th Annual 4th of July Fireworks in Beachwood, the AVP Pro Volleyball Tour stop in Seaside Heights and a host of fairs and festivals. However all we really need over the next couple of months is sunshine.

I can think of nothing better than curling my toes into the white sands of the 2nd Avenue beach in Seaside Park with a good book to read and my mission this year is to get their more often than last year. Summer is when cooking is done on the grill…if at all. It’s a good excuse to eat out or grab something on the boardwalk and it’s a great time to enjoy ice cream, which somehow tastes some much better now than in the winter. For those of us over 21, sitting out on your deck at the end of the day with an ice cold beer is something to savor.

I know there is a downside to this for many…heat and humidity. Sure it can get a bit sticky but I for one rarely complain because I remember winter all too well. Actually the ones with a right to complain are those who have to work in the heat…roofers, landscapers, road department guys…yet the biggest moaners are those who spend most of the day in air conditioned comfort. Another big benefit of summer….bikinis and flimsy clothes…enough said on that.

At the beginning I said today is one I lament as well as celebrate. That’s because sunset is 8:29PM and it’s the longest day and shortest night of the year. We’ve been gaining daylight for months but starting tomorrow the pendulum swings the other way. Before you can snap your fingers it will be September 23rd, the first day of autumn. My advice…don’t snap them and enjoy every moment of summer.

No comments: