Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Summertime Blues

It’s always amazing to me that with the end of the school year comes a complete change of lifestyle for many but certainly that is not the case for all of us. Let me use my own family as an example. My son has been home from college since mid-May and he of course is on a schedule that changes constantly. We often try and remind him that the rest of the family has work and school and he needs to keep that in mind when he comes home in the middle of the night and begins searching the kitchen for something to eat.

However I am now the only one who has to get up in the morning as my wife, a high school guidance counselor and daughter are on full summer recess mode. That means when the alarm goes off at about 2:30AM I need to quietly and carefully go about the morning routine of showering and getting dressed. I even take my clothes out the night before so I don’t wake up my wife by rifling through the closet.

This is only a small part of how I feel like the odd man out. The best is when someone will call me during the day and ask “what I’m doing?”….of course they are calling me in the middle of day at work. At times I’m made to feel that by working I may be inconveniencing others because I’m not available to do things on the spur of the moment.

Truth be told I’m jealous. What could possibly be better than to have 10 weeks or so in which you don’t set an alarm clock, can exercise when you want, go to the beach, stay up and watch late-night television? I guess the answer to that question is retirement which is not even on the horizon. However summer vacation is and I have a lot of time coming and will be taking it between now and Labor Day. I feel like more than ever I need time off, even if it’s just for a change in the daily routine which can get to you after a while. So before you burn out…get out or as they say in Canada…go on holiday!

No comments: