Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Happy Anniversary To Me

Anniversaries are often overrated although they can be very nostalgic and sometimes take you back in time and have you shake your head and say
“I can’t believe it was that long ago.” That’s how I felt while watching the Yankees Tuesday on what was the 24th anniversary of the famous George Brett pine tar game. Of course that one is only famous to those who know what I’m talking about.

Anyway there are a couple of anniversaries which are near and dear to me and like it or not I’m sharing with you. Today is my 26th wedding anniversary which in today’s times is truly an achievement and something to celebrate. It was a hot and humid July 25th, 1981 when Jane and I were married at St. Veronica’s Church in Howell with the reception at Doolan’s in Spring Lake. I still like to kid her about our wedding vows which we had written but she feared I would screw-up for lack of practice during the week. Of course I was flawless during the ceremony while she slipped up a bit. I would like to play you the tape as proof but my good friend Thomas “Lenny” LePre forget to start the tape recorder so there is no audio of this historic event.

Seriously while marriage is filled with more ups and downs than a baseball season, Jane has been the best part of my life in addition to a pair of wonderful children.

I’m not sure of the date but sometime this weekend is the 28th anniversary of my tenure here at WOBM. I’ve spent well over half my life in this building on Route 9 in Bayville and in radio that makes me older than a dinosaur. I’m not really sure if being here for all these years is something to celebrate or proof that my career has been mostly a failure. I’ve worked with hundreds of people during that time, many who are very forgettable while others like Bob Levy have become lifelong friends. The bottom line is that I still enjoy what I do and as long as my key fits in the front door I guess
I’ll be here sharing stories with you.

Happy Anniversary to me!

No comments: