Monday, July 23, 2007

Monday This 'n That

A little of this and a little of that following a picture-perfect summer weekend at the shore:

It was certainly good to see Ocean County win the Shore 44 Football Classic for the first time in five years Friday night. In what was a very entertaining game the Ocean County All-Stars edged Monmouth 11-10 before a nice crowd at Brick Township High School. The only disappointment was Monmouth players, coaches and fans felt they were the victims of some questionable calls by the officials and most observers agreed. Despite that it was a good way to end the 2006 season and at the same time get ready for the upcoming one. Among the players I was very impressed with were
Toms River North graduate Arin West and former Lacey standout Sean
McAndrew.

Here’s a little story you might get a kick out of. My wife asked me to pick up a book she had on hold at Barnes & Noble in Brick and I figured I would swing by there after the game. So when I pulled into the parking lot around 9:45 I was perplexed why I could not locate a parking spot. I finally found one and as I approached the store I realized what was going on…in just a couple of hours the latest Harry Potter book would be going on sale. People had been issued wrist bands but were waiting until midnight and it resembled Mardi gras with people of all ages dressed in wild garb associated with the book. Fortunately I think I was the only one there not interested in Harry Potter and I got in and out very quickly.

Give credit where credit is due. The opening of a Dunkin Donuts smack in the middle of the Seaside Heights boardwalk was a brilliant move. I’ve been trying to walk a few miles on weekend mornings before going to the beach and it seems like half the people on the boardwalk during that time are waiting in line for coffee.

The Lavallette Beach Patrol will be holding their 3rd annual Ocean Mile Swim on Saturday, August 18th at 8am. Registration will take place the morning of the swim between 7-7:45AM at the beach pavilion on Philadelphia Avenue. For more information you can call Lifeguard Headquarters at (732) 793-2566.

No comments: