Friday, August 10, 2007

"The Laramie Project"

I sometimes have to laugh at the bad-luck I often have. Very rarely do I write the Hometown View before coming to work each morning and usually I’m scrambling to finish it in time before its first airing. However Thursday I felt compelled to take time and carefully chose my words for a segment that would have run today on the controversy at Ocean Township High School in Monmouth County where the school principal had cancelled this fall’s production of “The Laramie Project” by the drama club.

I was going to share with you my strong opinions that the show should go on despite the feelings of the principal and superintendent that the subject matter was too controversial, objectionable to some and had the potential to divide the community. For those that don’t know the play is a documentary about the reaction to the 1998 murder of 21-year old Matthew Shepard, who was killed in Laramie, Wyoming by two men simply because he was gay.

I was going to tell you that the play is being used to teach students about prejudice and tolerance in schools across the country and more than ever we need to educate young people about respecting and tolerating our differences. I was also going to mention that those who find the subject matter objectionable don’t have to purchase a ticket and see the play…just like students don’t have to be part of what is an extracurricular activity.

I keep saying how I was going to say these things because at about the same time I was writing this Superintendent of Schools Thomas Pagano made a sudden and dramatic reversal. Not only is “The Laramie Project” back on for three nights in early November, it will be shown to the entire student body and may also be taken on the road to other towns and schools.

Pagano admitted that the reaction to the cancellation of the play was overwhelmingly against the original decision of the high school principal which he supported. Outside pressure was mounting and a school board meeting scheduled for later in the month could have turned into a circus.

Three cheers for Theatre Director Bob Angelini, who fought the decision because “The Laramie Project” is a story that should be told and shared….not censored. I bet you getting a ticket won’t be easy.

No comments: