Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sleep Depravation & Pennant Races

There has been a lot in the news lately about the dangers of sleep depravation and while I don’t want to make light of this it’s a fact of life for many of us for different reasons. I know studies say that we need about 8 hours of sleep each night but that can be difficult and I’m not even speaking about those who have trouble getting to sleep. That has never been my problem as can usually fall asleep within minutes but for me to get even 7 hours of sleep I would have to be in bed by 7:30 and that’s just not happening. This time of year I’m usually out at least four nights per week and then there’s the matter of being a sports fan and watching games on TV.

I’m wondering if it makes a difference as to your frame of mind when you finally get to sleep because if it does I’m in even deeper trouble. This is the result of being a Mets fan and staying up late to watch what may be the greatest collapse in baseball history. After another lost evening the Mets are just a game and a-half ahead of Philadelphia just a week after having a 7-game advantage. No team has ever blown a 7-game division lead this late in the season and I’ve actually tossed and turned the last couple of nights. That’s because I’m in the middle of a baseball version of “the perfect storm” as the Mets lose while the Phillies and Yankees continue to win. It’s almost too much to take.

Back to the central issue of sleep depravation which medical experts tell us has many pitfalls and I’m not questioning any of them. It’s not good for your overall general health and it leads to other problems like driving when you’re exhausted and the impact it has on those in the workplace. The truth is when you’re tired you are simply not as effective and that’s not good, especially if the sleep-deprived person happens to be a surgeon, pilot or even heavy-equipment operator.

However for those who work odd hours or commute great distances as well as many others 7 or 8 hours sleep is a rarity usually reserved for weekends and vacations. It’s just the way it is.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Imagine being a Cubs fan. Those nights REALLY make me toss and turn. But it's year after year. I do feel for quite badly for the Mets. I hope they hold on (and the Cubs too)