Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Roger Said, Brian Said

After watching the latest edition of the Clemens-McNamee almost family-feud I’m more confused then ever. Roger Clemens held a news conference in Houston Monday and after an opening statement by his attorney we all got to hear a 17-minute phone conversation that took place the other day between the pitcher and his former personal trainer, Brian McNamee. He’s the person who told investigators that he injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone which was revealed in the Mitchell Report last month.

Obviously McNamee did not know the phone conversation was being recorded which was legal in this case. He sounded very shaky and emotional and talked about the health problems his son is experiencing. Clemens, who continues to deny ever taking any steroids said at one point on the tape “I’m telling the truth and I want it out there” to which McNamee responded “Tell me what you want me to do. I’ll go to jail. I’ll do whatever you want.”

However what left my wife and I both perplexed (and probably many of you) was that at no point did McNamee offer to say he lied about Clemens taking steroids and more puzzling was the fact that Clemens never asked him to come forward and say that. While his attorney would later say he did not want to appear like he was coercing a federal witness it just seemed like the logical thing would have been for him to say “Brian, just come forward and tell people the truth that I never took steroids and all you injected me with was B-12 and a pain killer.”

I’ll be honest in that I don’t know what to make of this story in which Clemens has now sued his ex-trainer for defamation and next week will appear before a congressional hearing in Washington and testify about steroids in baseball. He said yesterday he will tell them “everything I know about the situation but he admitted that’s not all that much.”

One thing is for sure…this story won’t be going away soon.

No comments: