Thursday, January 31, 2008

WOBM's Biggest Loser Challenge

It’s that time of year again for me and nine of my co-workers…the WOBM version of the Biggest-Loser Challenge. We started three weeks ago with the idea that misery loves company when it comes to losing weight and with some cash on the line there would be extra motivation. Some of you might remember last year I came up just short, finishing second in the contest in which the winner is decided by largest percentage of weight loss from when you started. The irony of last year is that five days after our contest ended I had my gall bladder removed….had them occurred a few days earlier I would have been the big winner.

I will admit that I was very ambivalent about even entering this year because
we started the contest on January 7th…last year we waited until the day after the Super Bowl. Plus it was decided to put men and women in separate groups and while 7 females signed on only two other guys entered. So when we started I really had little enthusiasm and no plan for how I would lose weight except to say “I’ll just change my lifestyle” which is an admission I was clueless and not committed.

After the first two weeks my weight loss was only a pound and it didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out I was going nowhere. As for the other men in the contest….Mark was the same weight after two weeks and Mike, who I think gained during last year’s competition, was clearly on a mission…dropping 7 pounds. Again the winner is not based on weight loss but a percentage and Mike had just about clinched up the men’s division.

However using the old sports axiom, “it’s not how you start the race but rather how you finish” I decided to get serious. Last Wednesday “Weight Watchers” became the latest of my many weight-loss programs, when I signed up in Toms River. I attended a meeting in which I felt like I was in the studio audience for an Oprah Show….there was like 30 women and 3 men. But I’m focused and when I went back yesterday and weighed-in I had lost 9 pounds in the first week. I don’t think I can catch Mike but I promise to make him sweat a bit.

In fairness to the women here at the radio station many of them are doing very well especially Andria, Kim & Regina. Of course the next weigh-in comes right after Super Bowl Sunday which will be a real challenge…at least for some.

No comments: