Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Little Things In Life

It is hard sometimes to realize the little things in life really are “little” but sometimes we all need to sit back and take a look at the entire picture. For some reason I have been saving those little prayer cards you get when you attend a funeral service and putting them above the visor in my car. I didn’t give this any thought until the other day when I realized I’ve collected more than a half-dozen in the last few months. Some were people I was close to while others were parents of friends who I barely knew. Some died gracefully after living full lives…others were taken by dreaded diseases or sudden illness and one by his own hands and own choice…a loss which has left many to ponder what they could have done to make a difference.

While these deaths were very different the common thread is the same…they are final. I’m not here to debate your beliefs but the bottom line is these people I knew will never again sit down to Thanksgiving dinner, or celebrate a child’s birthday, take a walk on the beach or watch a basketball game. People think I’m crazy when I tell them the first thing I read in the newspaper each day is the obituaries. It’s not that I’m morbid but amazed at regardless of what’s going on in the world you can count on the fact that every day people die who live right in our neighborhoods. You may not know them but they are leaving families and friends to grieve, mourn and reflect.

Yet as staggering as death is we often get sidetracked with things they are so inconsequential in the big picture they barely deserve a mention. Why do we pay attention to the personal lives of moronic celebrities like Britney Spears? And while on the subject of famous people…are their deaths any more significant then the 28 Ocean and Monmouth County residents whose obituaries appear in today’s Asbury Park Press? 28 mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, friends…..gone. From way too young at 37 to a full life at 95.

This is not an uplifting piece or is it. All of sudden I don’t care that much about toll hikes on our roadways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin. I definitely agree with your view today. It certainly puts in perspective what is important.Our situation has left us with great memories,but constantly leaving those in the wake of senseless death, asking WHY?? WHY?? WHY??

Take care,Karen Goodale