Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kevin Joins Facebook

Facebook is a social networking website that was launched five years ago by a then Harvard University student and quickly caught on with colleges around the country. It was a way for students and friends to stay in touch and it spread to high schools and eventually anyone over the age of 13. It’s believed that more than 175 million people use Facebook and I just discovered it within the last two weeks at the recommendation of a consultant for our radio group.

The website is free and you usually join networks based on where you went to high school and or college where you work and live and others. While I was certainly aware of Facebook because of my children I had no idea what I was getting into when I registered. I started by just putting up some brief information about myself and later added a picture and some more details and all of a sudden I heard from people I have not had contact with for more than 30 years. How far you want to go with this is up to each individual and frankly I don’t completely get this entire thing yet. I still haven’t figured out the need for people to tell others that they are going food shopping or taking a walk but to each his own. What I’ve been able to do is meet up with old friends and catch up on what you’ve missed for decades and it’s just a pretty neat way to network. There are restrictions you can put on your involvement and while there’s always security concerns it seems to be fairly harmless although I am very happy Facebook did not exist during my young and stupid days. I can only imagine the pictures that could have made their way onto the site for too many to see.

What is especially interesting is because I’m new subscriber each day brings new contacts who come into your life. Some are those you want to network with while others you may choose to ignore. Regardless I have to admit that I’m hooked and I’ll look forward to seeing some of you on Facebook.

No comments: