Monday, May 18, 2009

Career Day

I could not tell you how many times I’ve served as a Master of Ceremonies
or Guest Speaker over nearly thirty years but it’s got to be well over several hundred. I can tell you that one of my favorite invitations was to speak at the ceremonies welcoming in the new members of the National Honor Society at Toms River High School South a few years ago. I remember kidding that I don’t often get asked to speak at events that celebrate achievements in the classroom but rather usually ones that celebrate who did well on the football field or basketball court. Well tonight I’ll be back at High School South when they induct the newest members into the Indian Chapter of the NHS. However I won’t be speaking but listening as my daughter Alex is one of the students being honored tonight and I’m looking forward to applauding her efforts along with those of her fellow classmates.

I participated in East Dover Elementary School’s 11th Annual Career Day this past Friday and tomorrow will be a presenter at Forked River Elementary School’s 4th Annual Career Day. While I’ve never yet met an elementary school student who wanted to work in radio I do enjoy listening to an 8 or 11 year olds take on jobs and careers. Professional athletes, Veterinarians, singers and actors, artists and police officers are among the popular choices.

Belated congratulations to Toms River South baseball coach Ken Frank on winning his 700th career game on Friday when the Indians won the Ocean County Baseball Tournament for a record 11th time. It got me thinking that Ocean County is home to three incredibly successful high school coaches.

Recently-retired Brick Township football coach Warren Wolf and current Green Dragons Ice Hockey coach Bob Auriemma are the winningest coaches in New Jersey history in their respective sports. Frank, who won his 701st game on Saturday is third on the all-time list among state baseball coaches and at age 62 shows no signs of letting up.

No comments: