Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kris or Adam?

Odds makers have installed Adam Lambert as the 1-3 favorite to be named the next “American Idol” tonight and if you wanted to make a wager on Kris Allen to win you would get odds of 3-1. This of course would be in places where gambling is legal, like Las Vegas and London and if were in either place I’d drop a couple of bucks on Allen to win in an upset.

For those of you who do not watch “Idol” the two finalists are as different as night and day (borrowing a line from the Patty Duke Show). Lambert is a
26-year old from Hollywood, California who has jet black hair and at times is pretty much over the top in appearance. No question he is a terrific singer
but to some he’s a bit dark and eerie, although he’s a favorite of young girls.
Allen is a 23-year old from Conway, Arizona who is more the kind of guy a mother would want her daughter to bring home. He was not expected to be in the final group but his ability to not only sing but play the piano and guitar has impressed many over the final stretch of this five-month competition.

I’m one who really only watched “American Idol” in the past during the early audition portion because I found it to be amusing. Once it got down to the serious singers I did not pay much attention but for some reason have joined the millions who pretty much devote two nights a week to the show especially in April & May. I have not nor will I ever cast a vote by phone or text message but if I did I would vote for Kris…he’s just more likeable.

However here is why I think he will be the surprise winner later tonight. While everyone assumes its teen-age girls who watch and vote I think it’s more likely their mothers who will decide the winner and moms like Kris more, including my wife who has touted him from the beginning. Plus I’ve got to figure in the more conservative mid-west Adam will not play well…too much weirdness.

So in an upset I’m going with Kris Allen which based on my past predictions is good news for those who like Adam…I don’t get these right too often. Here is one thing I can guarantee….judge Paula Abdul will cry no matter who wins and proclaim the greatest Idol ever. That one you can take to the bank.

No comments: