Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Remembering Art Harmon

When someone you know dies you often reach out to a family member with the following words “if there is anything I can do please don’t hesitate to ask.” Of course rarely is there anything you can do except offer comfort and support. However I have this unique opportunity to sometimes tell you about a person who has passed away and I’ll admit it makes me feel better because usually you feel helpless at times of great sorrow.

Last spring Art Harmon asked me to serve as Master of Ceremonies for the
annual banquet hosted by the Shore Chapter of IAABO, which is the association for basketball referees. Frankly I didn’t really want to do it but felt an obligation as the year prior they had honored me with an award because of the relationship I’ve built up with them through the WOBM Christmas Classic. I also didn’t want to turn down Art because his son Matt has been my broadcasting partner along with Ed Sarluca on hundreds of games and events over the years on the Shore Sports Network.
So I accepted the invitation to MC the dinner and banquet and frankly had a great time busting Art and others…of course most of it was in good fun. During the evening Art was among those saluted for their service as a 40-year member of IABBO. I of course knew him even before Matt and I began working together as both he and his brother Rick had referred games in the WOBM Classic for many years.

I’ve thought about that dinner quite a bit the last few days. Last week Art,
who always appeared to be in great health suffered a massive stroke. While he fought to hang on Matt continued to broadcast games, paying tribute to his father during our high school game Friday and the Monmouth University game on Saturday. The radio was on in the hospital room and Matt was hoping against hope that his father could hear his voice and words one more time. Sunday Art Harmon, retired teacher and coach, lifeguard for more than four decades, ski instructor, father to Matt and Tim, brother, husband and grandfather died at the age of 63. Viewing will be Thursday from 2-9pm at O’Brien Funeral Home in Wall. A life well lived if too short.

No comments: