Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Comfort Of Routine

Have you ever given serious thought to how much of our daily life is based on a routine that rarely changes except during holidays, vacations and the like? This certainly applies to anyone who wakes up in the morning to an alarm clock because that’s the start of the routine and sets off a series of events that are pretty much the same all the time. Assuming you have a job that forces you to leave home or have a job that centers around getting everyone else out of the house your morning time often depends on you performing a certain function at a certain time. Its amazing how your entire day can get thrown off if something develops which alters your routine by even just a few minutes. We have become conditioned to this routine and can become frazzled, especially when outside forces throw everything off.
It can be something like cutting yourself while shaving, a button popping on the shirt you were going to wear or the dreaded car not starting. Just a few minutes delay and your internal clock is a mess because again we depend
and are stuck in this routine.

Those who commute in the morning could miss their bus or carpool or just as bad get stuck in traffic that they usually avoid by leaving early. Parents getting children off to school may have to scramble to get them to the bus on time. There are countless examples of where just a few minutes can throw you out of balance and it could have an impact for the rest of the day.

I can’t tell you how many people have said to me that listening to the Hometown View is a reminder of where they need to be in terms of their morning routine. Some say it’s their own version of an alarm clock as they get out of bed when I’m finished or walk out the door to work. They also blame me when I’m not here and there is no segment to serve as their reminder.

Anyway I’m locked in to a routine that gets me to my Dunkin Donuts pretty much within five minutes of the same time every weekday morning. Heck I don’t even have to order my large coffee with cream and two splendas because when I pull up to the drive-thru my regular guy simply says, “pull around boss.” He knows and I know and you know….routines may sound boring but they are a part of our life.

No comments: