Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's A Holiday?

After what I experienced yesterday I wonder what percentage of the American public can identify the legal federal holidays. I stopped at the ATM of a local bank which it turned out was out of order. As I sat in my car a driver pulled up next to me and I figured it would be nice to save him some aggravation so as he got out of his car I shouted to him that the ATM was not working. He replied that he wasn’t using the ATM and walked to the front door which of course was locked. When I told him that the bank was closed because of the holiday he seemed perplexed and asked what holiday
and when I replied Martin Luther King Day he seemed stunned that it was
a day the bank would be closed.

Going back to my original question how many of you can name the Legal Federal Holidays? I’ll give you a hint….there are ten of them.

* New Year’s Day (January 1)
* Martin Luther King Day (3rd Monday in January)
* President’s Day (3rd Monday in February)
* Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
* Independence Day (July 4th) Because if falls on a Sunday this
year Monday will be the “day off.”
* Labor Day (first Monday of September)
* Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
* Veterans’ Day (November 11…this year a Thursday)
* Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November)
* Christmas Day (December 25) Falls on a Saturday this year

That’s the ten official holidays and of course Martin Luther King Day is the most recent. It was observed for the first time in 1986 but was not officially observed in all 50 states until 1990. There is actually an 11th federal holiday but we celebrate it only once every four years and that is Inauguration Day
which happens on January 20th after a Presidential Election. The next year for this would be 2013 but since January 20th will be a Sunday that year the observance will on January 21st.

No comments: