Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Wake Up Dance

One of the things I’ve talked about on many occasions is the differences between men and women. It seems that often we try to think of the two sexes as the same and while that may be true in some instances there are really stark differences, especially when it comes to the daily routine stuff. Of course this is my observation and I’m speaking in general terms….I know this is not always true for everyone else.

Take for instance the seemingly simple task of waking up in the morning and getting ready to leave for work. Since this is a first-hand example and took place this morning it’s pretty fresh on my mind. The alarm in my house is set for 3:33AM but it’s not the last bit unusual for my wife to wake up even before the alarm goes off. I on the other hand am usually in a complete coma until the radio starts playing and even then have a tough time getting out of bed. Part of that is due to the fact that usually I’m up watching TV until around 11 o’clock while my wife has called it a night at least a couple of hours earlier.

For most of the last year I have been getting up closer to 4:30 and by that time Jane had already showered, picked her clothes out and ironed, probably put a load of laundry on and cleaned the house. However only recently have I begun getting up earlier and it clearly is not meshing well with her routine. For me it’s a matter of rolling out of bed, brushing my teeth, taking a shower, getting dressed and leaving. That entire process usually takes between 30-45 minutes because honestly I am only taking care of myself. My wife needs two hours from the time she gets up until she leaves for work and while at times I scratch my head over that the truth is she’s on the move the entire time.

The bottom line seems to be we can’t get up at the same time so one of us is probably going to need to make a move and you know who that will be. Jane reminded me this morning that I used to wake up at 2:30 and then get her up as I was leaving the house and it worked well for both of us….of course it means less sleep for me. More in future reports.

No comments: