Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Saying Goodbye To Toms River High School South

Six years ago when my son graduated high school it was certainly a special occasion but the impact was softened by the fact I had a younger daughter.

Tomorrow she and nearly 400 of her classmates at Toms River High School South will receive their diplomas and I have to tell you this graduation is quite a bit different because she is my youngest. I have thoroughly enjoyed going through the senior year experience with her although there have been plenty of stress-filled moments…most of which were mother-daughter events. The last couple of months have featured traditions that make High School South special, including last night’s Senior Night which was moved into the cafetorium for weather reasons. The evening is really the last chance for seniors to get together as parents donated, prepared and cooked hamburgers, hot dogs and more as students posed for pictures and signed yearbooks. There was also a slide show and a tremendous performance by a hypnotist who had everyone laughing and amazed at the same time.

While my wife and I publically talk about how great it will to be empty-nesters come late August I privately am going to miss much of what comes with being the parent of a high school child. Part of this is because both my children had such great experiences at Toms River South, a school rich in tradition in which many things have been passed on by one generation to another. Only at the home of the Indians could you find students in line seeking to have their yearbooks signed by Dave Correll, a retired history teacher who still supervises some activities at the school. He is a unique person and is largely responsible for the spirit that has filled the hallways of Toms River’s old school for decades.

So consider this my thank you to Principal Len Stanziano, the faculty and staff and everyone associated with High School South. My children are better because of your time and efforts and I now truly understand and appreciate the mystique that surrounds the school. It is a special place because of the people who like wearing maroon and white.

No comments: