Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday Tradition

I guess if money and time are not a problem than Christmas shopping might be something to look forward to but frankly for most of us both can make the task about as enjoyable as going to the dentist. Wait a second….trips to the dentist these days are often painless but a trip to a shopping mall can leave you suffering.
I don’t like Christmas shopping but in recent years have turned this chore into an annual pilgrimage with my daughter Alex and it’s actually become something I think we both look forward to.

It started when she was in high school when I would get her out of school early
and armed with a list we would dash through stores and malls to complete our frazzled odyssey. She is now in college and I must admit to looking forward to our foray yesterday because like all good things this too will come to an end so I want to enjoy each one of our father-daughter outings. Well a little more than six hours after we started we had completed our mission and with only an exception or two got everything we wanted. In those six hours we were in and out of the car several times, had a very enjoyable lunch, and listened to a mixture of Christmas music and Dave Matthews. I was exhausted when I got home and glad the ordeal was over but thrilled at the same time that Alex and I had the day and adventure to share.

A little side note to yesterday. We were going into a Barnes & Noble and I could not help but notice a woman walking to her car in the parking lot. While she was very attractive what made her stand out was she was getting into a car which was parked perfectly in the middle of two spots in the packed lot. It’s not unusual to see someone with a very expensive car taking up two spots and it does not bother me when they do it in the outskirts of a lot in open spaces. However this woman, who really did not have a luxury vehicle, took up two spots right in front and I was so tempted to say something but in the spirit of the holiday I did not. I wonder if she’ll notice the key scratches on the passenger side.

No comments: