Thursday, December 2, 2010

When I stepped outside this morning it suddenly hit me….winter is coming. Never mind what the calendar says I just have this feeling that we are now entering that period in which cold weather will pretty much be what we face each day. I looked at the extended forecast and over the next ten days it is not expected to get out of the 40’s and obviously that means at night and early in the morning it will likely be in the 30’s on a regular basis. While for some they welcome this because it will make them feel more like Christmas, I personally don’t relish the thought that we are coming into a period in which warmth only comes when the heat is on.

I guess it bothers me because it signals what is seemingly the longest period of the year and as I get older I swear winter becomes longer and summer gets shorter.
What’s worse than getting up at 3am and having to go out and warm up your car or worse-yet….scrape ice off your windshield? Truthfully December doesn’t usually bother me all that much because we really don’t get severe winter weather in this month…that was until last year when we got crushed by a pre-Christmas blizzard.
If that were to happen again frankly I will probably just crawl up in a corner and cry because it just made for what seemed like an endless period of cold weather and snow.

What we need is a quiet December with maybe a little dusting of snow on Christmas Eve for visual effects and that’s about it. January and February are endless no matter what but if December is mild it will help speed along the process until we get to spring which right now seems more like years and not months away. As for summer….I can’t even fathom that there will be a day again in which I can sit on the beach basking in warm sunshine with a cool ocean breeze.
Man I have to snap out of this!

An unrelated program note. The season-ending edition of the Saint Barnabas Healthcare High School Football Show will air tonight on 105.7FM from 7-9pm.
Ed Sarluca, Matt Harmon and I will broadcast live from Boston’s in Toms River and preview the state football finals this weekend and also announce our All-Star teams and players and coaches of the year. The show streams live at www.shoresportsnetwork.com
.

No comments: