Thursday, June 30, 2011

F'ing Shame

It was five weeks ago that I announced in this segment my plan to do all I could to
curtail the use of the “F” word at our broadcast facility here in Bayville. I was applauded by many listeners who are offended and disturbed about the growing use of the obscenity in everyday conversation. The problem is many no longer view the word as an obscenity, instead thinking it’s just something you use when trying to make a point. I admitted at that time that I also have found myself using the “F” word when I shouldn’t so taking action was partly self-motivating.

Anyway when I addressed this subject in late May I vowed as a manager here to institute a fine system, which I did. After a brief transition period use of the “F” word in the office would cost you a dollar and we made up a fine jar. There were some mulligans and even exceptions but my intent was to clean up the office and get people to expand their vocabulary. The key was that everyone, or least a strong majority, needed to buy into this as a good thing which would make us all better. They would also need to police one another because I can’t be all places at all times. Well I am here to tell you my mission has failed and is being aborted.

For the first week or so it seemed to be working and the fine jar was receiving regular donations. However in recent weeks my policy has been basically ignored and even laughed at on a daily basis. About the only one who has put money in the fine jar lately has been myself because when I slip up I pay. I did not institute the policy to empty my pockets, especially if others are not going to follow.

So as we head into the 4th of July holiday I give up. I’ve been worn down and beat up by a society that has become more vulgar and who knows how much worse it’s going to get. The problem is that we have accepted it and now can’t stop it because most simply don’t think there is anything wrong with it. One last thing fellow workers….I will do what I want with the fine money. If you don’t like it…take it up with the Vice President of Quality Control. That’s me by the way!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: