Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Where Did August Go?

I need a little help this morning because something is missing and I’m hoping one of you might be able to help me find it. I’m looking for the month of August which according to the calendar is ending today. How can something end when it didn’t even begin…I don’t even vaguely recall August. I’m not denying its existence and truthfully I do remember a day or two but that’s about it. I have memories of July and even June but August was faster that Jose Reyes running the bases. If today is the last day of the month that means summer is all but over.
Next thing you’re going to tell me is that the college football season starts this weekend. It does, doesn’t it? Okay than Labor Day must be right around the corner…you’re kidding me….it’s Monday! Ah come on this is like a bad dream.
Maybe when I wake up it will be July 4th and we’ll have a whole summer to look forward to.

Tuesday was a sad night for many because the Lakewood BlueClaws closed out their home schedule by splitting a doubleheader against the Hickory Crawdads.
Some 9,000 people made their way into FirstEnergy Park and many were regulars who were quite sad to see the season come to an end. It’s part of their spring and summer ritual and they were spoiled the last couple of years when the BlueClaws won the South Atlantic League Championship which meant the season continued through mid-September. That won’t be the case this year so last night was a chance to say good-bye, especially to members of the BlueClaws staff who have become friends over the years. I chatted with Community Relations Director Jim DeAngelis who has been with the team since their inaugural season in 2001. He said the depression of knowing the season is over doesn’t hit yet because the team is finishing the season on the road. DeAngelis said when you realize they are not coming home…that’s when you know the season is truly over. Don’t fret Jim…it’s only about 214 days till opening day, 2012.

Congratulations to a pair of BlueClaws who earned spots on the South Atlantic League All-Star team…designated hitter Jim Murphy and pitcher Jesse Biddle.
The team has today off and then finishes the season with five games in Hagerstown, Maryland.

No comments: