Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ocean County Pretty In Pink Day

The fact that pink is one of my favorite colors makes it easy to wear today which has been dubbed “Pretty in Pink Day” in Ocean County by health officials as well as the Board of Chosen Freeholders. While I get busted pretty good by my friends for the half dozen pink shirts and even pink socks I own and wear I always respond with “real men do wear pink.”

Today I happily display the color to show my support in the fight against breast cancer and more importantly to draw attention to an on-going battle
against a terrible disease that affects the lives of so many and I can say this from first-hand experience. My wife is among the millions of breast cancer survivors who have benefited from not only early detection but the advances that have been made over the years to pro-actively treat this disease and save lives.

There is no question that progress is being made and part of that is due to education…the theme of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The more women and others know the better chance that they will take advantage of all that is out there. This is why I’m personally thrilled that we at 92.7 WOBM have teamed up with Community & Kimball Medical Centers and other sponsors on our own version of “Pretty in Pink.” Along with the Ocean County Cancer Coalition we want to make you aware of the resources out there and encourage all women that early detection has been and always will be the key to good health.

As I said earlier my wife is a survivor and we have no reason to believe she’ll have any problems in the future. Before, during and after surgery she had a great support system of family and friends and as a celebration many of them join her annually in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk on the boardwalk in Point Pleasant Beach. That event is this Sunday and she’ll have about 50 walking under the banner of “Team Booberang.”The weather forecast is calling for a perfect day Sunday and that’s the way it should be because they will all be “Pretty in Pink.”

No comments: