Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Salvation Army Ocean County Citadel

Prior to Monday Night the only thing I really knew about the Salvation Army was that during Christmas time they ring a bell and collect money in shopping centers and malls. In another case of “you can’t judge a book by its cover” I learned they are a lot more than that.

If you listen with any regularity you might be aware that I get called on often to serve as Master of Ceremonies for dinners, golf outings and a myriad of banquets during the course of the year. My ego would say I’m asked because of how good I am but at least part of the reason is that I usually do these for free. By the way don’t think this is a hint that I want to do more because I don’t and I’m getting good at saying “no.”

However when I was asked a couple of months ago to MC the first-ever dinner for the Salvation Army Ocean County Citadel I couldn’t refuse for a couple of reasons…..Tom Addalia and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ocean County. Tom is best known as the owner of “Flowers by Addalia” and last night he received the prestigious William Booth Award for his generous work in the community through various organizations. Among them is Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ocean County, who along with Ocean County Hunger Relief and The Foodbank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties was presented with the Salvation Army’s Organizational Partnership Awards.
As you might know I’m somewhat active with Big Brothers Big Sisters so how could I not do this dinner.

Speaking of the dinner held at Toms River High School East….it was an International Food Extravaganza coordinated by Chef Murray Dychtwald and a staff of top-notch chefs and featured gourmet foods from Japanese to Greek. It was wonderful and truly there was something for everyone.

As for the Ocean County Chapter of the Salvation Army. Well I learned that they are a truly outstanding organization which works with people of all ages and provides assistance in so many different ways without discrimination. Captain Larry and Lorie Travaglino along with a host of others are to be applauded for their time and efforts to make things just a little bit better for many. And when you see that kettle during the holiday season…give generously.

No comments: