Thursday, March 6, 2008

Kevin Gets To Sleep In

For most of my tenure at WOBM I’ve been the first one in the building each morning, usually arriving around 3:15 and getting to work right away on morning sports reports which I’ve delivered for nearly 29 years. I’ve followed a strict ritual of waking up at 2:22 (when I have to shave), jumping right in the shower, getting dressed, stopping for coffee and making a very short commute to the office. It’s been pretty much all I’ve known and what I’ve grown accustomed too but after tomorrow that all ends.

No longer will I be the guy to turn on the lights, start the computers and open locked offices….nor will I tell you about the fortunes of the Mets, Yankees, Giants, Mariners, Green Dragons or Griffins. Before you say “thank goodness we’ve finally gotten rid of him” let me make something perfectly clear…I’m not going anywhere but my routine will change dramatically.

Beginning Monday, March 17th I will host a daily sports show that will air weekday afternoons from 3-6pm as part of our Shore Sports Network. “The Locker Room” with Kevin Williams will be broadcast on 1160 WOBM AM and Fox Sports Radio 1310AM and will be the first radio sports show of it’s kind ever broadcast in Ocean and Monmouth counties. If and when you tune in to “The Locker Room” you’re just as likely to hear me talk about high school baseball as major league baseball. Actually the subject matter will be often left up to those who call in and want to talk sports and offer their opinions because many think they’re experts.

Sure after all these years I’m a bit nervous about trying something different so late in my career but I’m also excited by the challenge. There’s also the matter of sleeping past 2:22AM and handling a dramatic change of routine.
I’ll still be in the office each morning but maybe after going to the gym and leisurely strolling in with my cup of coffee.

Finally for those of you who enjoy “The Hometown View”….like me it will remain and still air weekday mornings. As for those afternoons…well I’m not telling you to leave 92.7FM but if you’re a sports fan they’ll always be a place for you in “The Locker Room.”

1 comment:

Brian Dowd said...

Congrats on the changes! Best wishes and success to your new show!