Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Dr. Feelgood

You can’t escape all the news about what we should and should not eat and drink and how exercise is vital to your health and well-being. However not all doctors believe that diet and working up a good sweat are that important.

Here’s an email I received from a friend following a question and answer session he had with his family physician after a recent check-up.

Q: Are fried foods bad for you?
A: Not as long as they are fried in vegetable oil because vegetables
are good for you.

Q: Is it true that cardiovascular exercise can prolong your life?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats and that’s it so don’t
waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually.

Q: What are the advantages though of a regular exercise program?
A: None that I can think of. My philosophy is no pain…good!

Q: Should I avoid alcohol?
A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine
which means they take water out of the fruity bit so you get even
more of the goodness that way. Beer is made out of grain which we
all know is good for you.

Q: Will sit-ups prevent me from getting soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle it gets bigger so you
should only do sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: Of course not….look at whales.

Q: Is getting in shape important?
A: Round is a shape.

By the way I asked my friend for his doctor’s name and phone number and he refused to give it to me. Only thing he said was you can’t get an appointment for a long time.

No comments: