Thursday, April 24, 2008

Kevin Takes The Top Spot


The Toms River-Ocean County Chamber of Commerce holds its 45th Annual Reception and Dinner tonight at Eagle Ridge Golf Club and I guess it should be a big deal for me. That’s because during the evening Jim DeAngelis, the Community Relations Director for the Lakewood BlueClaws will hand me the gavel as I take over for him as Chairman of one of the state’s largest and best chambers of commerce. I not telling you this because I want you to be impressed…as a matter of fact I have tried to convince our leadership that Jim should say for another year as Chairman and I should be passed over. However that’s not going to happen so I guess for the next year I’m the guy who handles as many ribbon cuttings as possible.

The reason I’m not intimidated with this new role is because Lucy Greene is still the President and the face of the Chamber along with her hard-working
and dedicated staff. Plus I’ll have plenty of people to lean on including the other officers and Board of Directors because in truth my main role is to take charge of meetings and be in a lot of pictures and other things which are not very important.

What is important is the role of this and other chambers in the business community and I can tell you that many people work extremely hard to improve the climate for business and growth. It’s a challenging task, especially in today’s environment but it’s one that should not be overlooked and what I hope for more than anything is that area businesses support the chamber like we try and support them.

I do know this….I join a very impressive list of people who have served as Chairman in the past starting with Joe Citta more than forty years ago. Among those to hold down the job since were Zev Rosen, Harvey York, Bob Novy, Nina Anuario, Joe Coronato, Gary Lotano, Bob Shea, Mike Ritacco and Domenick Servodio. I have nothing in common with them…their all successful but I’m a better public speaker.

No comments: