Friday, May 23, 2008

Finally A Graduate

The campus at Ocean County College looks quite different today from the one I first experienced as freshman in the fall of 1973. The growth of the community college has been nothing short of amazing and aesthetically it’s a beautiful place and a very pleasant environment for learning and opportunity which is what higher education is all about. I’ll be the first to admit that when I was a student I didn’t grasp the learning part very well but OCC did afford me the opportunity to do things which would lead me to the career path I’ve chosen and for that I’ve been very grateful.

I’d like to think I’ve been an enthusiastic supporter of the college and its mission over the years and have done what I can in a small way to help spread the word of what a great asset the school has been to thousands of local residents. Several years ago I was honored when OCC chose me to receive a Distinguished Alumni Award but I’ve remarked on more than one occasion that technically I’m not an alumnus because I never earned my degree. Last night that was taken care of.

Ocean County College held its 41st Commencement Ceremony on the college mall and for most of the nearly 400 students who attended it marked the end of a two-year period in their lives. For yours truly that number is 35 years from the time I first stepped foot onto the campus until last night when I received an Honorary Associate in Arts Degree from President Dr. Jon Larson, who first approached me about the idea nearly a year ago.

It was a real thrill to receive the honorary degree from Dr. Larson and the Board of Trustees, among them Brick’s Warren Wolf who was recognized for his 50 years of education and service. Like the graduates my support staff was on hand including Mom and Dad, Mother-in-Law, Wife, Daughter and Son who of course graduated from Penn State a few days earlier and now got to watch his Dad in cap and gown walk to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance. And yes I moved my tassel from right to left because my education at Ocean County College is now complete.

No comments: