Friday, May 9, 2008

Mother's Day

We have created days and so-called holidays for just about everyone and every profession and of course I say this during a week in which we show our appreciation for Nurses and Teachers among others. Not to take anything away from them but the day that really counts this week is Mother’s Day which is of course Sunday. Of all the days noted on the calendar as being somewhat special this is the one which is truly worthy of celebrating and acknowledging.

Think about it….when you were a young child you used to make a card in school and maybe even a special gift which you gave to Mom with a big smile on your face. Then as you got older it was time to scrape up a few bucks and buy flowers or something else….usually Dad had to help out because you didn’t have enough money. Then you got married and had both a Mother and Mother-In-Law and before long children came along which took the day to a different level.

I consider myself lucky in that I have a Mom who I’m not only close too but consider a friend every bit has much as a mother. A truly amazing woman who still walks to work five days a week, loves to talk sports as much as anything else and believe it or not has been blessed with great health in that she’s never even had a headache in her life. Not only that but nobody could have a better relationship with their Mother-In-Law like I do so having both in my life is a true daily double.

Every bit as lucky on this day are my children who have a truly fantastic mother and I know they realize it but of course when you are young you might take that for granted. My wife without question has been the backbone of our family and like in many families has two careers….one in education and one at home. Both are full-time jobs and one marvels at how she and other Moms get all the work done. But they do which is why Mother’s Day is so special and deserving of a spot on the calendar and a place in our hearts.

No comments: