Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Phil Citta

When I think of Phil Citta among the first things that come to mind was the costumes he used to wear at Halloween. I know that’s not unusual but seeing him decked out in a toga while at the same time sitting people for dinner would always leave me with a smile on my face. Six years after his death I still walk into The Office Restaurant & Lounge in Toms River and expect him to greet me with a sarcastic comment or two. Usually I would respond with one of my own and often it had to do with the brightly-colored Hawaiian print short-sleeved shirt he was wearing, regardless of the season.

Phil was not just the owner and operator but he was the face of The Office, a popular bar and restaurant in Toms River for more than thirty years. While he liked to make his trips to Florida in the winter he was most comfortable behind the host station greeting customers, many of whom he knew for years and were regulars. As I’ve said before there has never been a time when I
was at The Office Lounge that I did not think of Phil and that will never change.

Today would have been his 66th birthday and while sadly he won’t be there to see it he will certainly be part of what’s going to take place at The Office Lounge. It just so happens that the 5th Annual Phil Citta Memorial Fundraiser will probably turn into a gigantic birthday party as well as another great event for cancer research at Community Medical Center which is home to the J. Phillip Citta Regional Cancer Center. His death from pancreatic cancer in 2004 and the Citta Family’s incredible commitment to the hospital led to the establishment of that center which benefits patients and their families, most of them from right here in Ocean County.

Today 50% of all proceeds and 100% of sales from raffles and auctions will be donated in Phil’s name to the hospital and management and staff will try and surpass the record $21,000 raised last year. I will plan on stopping in and my first thought will be…what would Phil have been wearing at his birthday party? TOGA-TOGA-TOGA.

No comments: