Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tuesday, July 6

Usually you talk about the weather when you have nothing to talk about
but that’s not the case today. I am not going to complain about the heat
or even go into the concerns over drought-like conditions. Rather I want
to comment on one of the great stretches of beach weather we have ever seen over the 4th of July holiday. Since last Wednesday we have had nothing but sunny skies and as the temperature increased it sent more and more people to the beach. Maybe the best part is those that sought relief found it in the Atlantic Ocean as the surf conditions have been calm and the water unusually warn for early July. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen more people on
the beach and in the water then I did on Sunday when west wind conditions kept most people as close to the shoreline as possible. While the heat may not be welcome by all it’s been very good news for local towns who have raked in increased revenues in the form of beach badge sales and of course parking meters around the beaches. They should have no complaints and are way ahead of last year with the summer tourism season now in full swing.

Since I’m wearing a pink shirt today I’m going to admit to something that seriously might question my manhood to some. Yesterday I saw the third edition of the Twilight Saga, Eclipse with my wife and daughter. They did not drag me to the movie nor did I drag them…it was sort of in the middle.

I had watched the first Twilight movie on DVD a while back and actually thought it was pretty good. I had not seen the second one, “New Moon” but my wife had and she wanted to catch Eclipse this weekend. So after three straight days at the beach I decided to skip the surf and sand Monday and watched New Moon at home and then went to the Marquee Cinema in Toms River with both my girls in the afternoon. I found myself surrounded by mostly young girls but fortunately found a friend (my age) who was with his wife and daughter. We vowed not to tell anyone we saw each other and I will keep him anonymous but I’m out of the closet. I thought this was the best of the three movies with some great action scenes. As for the “Team Edward” or “Team Jacob” stuff….give me a break. Jake has it all over that pale-faced vampire.

No comments: