Monday, July 26, 2010

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Today I would like to tell you how I spent my summer vacation which officially ended at 3:05 this morning when my alarm clock went off. Actually one of the highlights was not waking up to an alarm clock for nine straight days, counting weekends of course.

For the most part my vacation was spent at the beach as my brother rented a house on the ocean in Seaside Park. He and his 3-year old son along with my sister and her 4-year old son were down for the entire week and I did get to spend a lot of time with them. I will say it was not always relaxing and it was another reminder of how difficult it is just getting little ones ready for a day at the beach with all the packing and planning necessary. However they also remind you that it’s sometimes the little things which provide great joy as my nephew Trevor would spend countless hours over the week collecting shells like they were some kind of treasure.

For the most part last week I just took advantage of not being on a schedule.
My wife and I rode our bikes on the boardwalk…I just got my mine fixed after not using it for years and it was great. We went to the movies twice….saw “Grown Ups” and “Inception” which are at the complete opposite end of the spectrum but we both good in their own ways. I was excited about being on vacation the same week the Mets were playing on the West Coast which meant I could stay up and watch their games. But the way they are playing all that does is make you fall asleep which I would do just about every night on the couch. A few times I woke up and would watch a movie I had not seen in a while…just the other day I stayed up until 4:30 in the morning to watch “Midnight Cowboy” with Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman. I can’t believe that movie is 41 years old.

Anyway it was a pretty good week with my wife and I celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary Sunday. I hit the beach by myself for a couple of hours in the morning but gave in to the flies. Later we joined many of our neighbors for a get together and dined on lobster…not a bad way to end the week and vacation.

No comments: