Monday, May 9, 2011

End Of Freshman Year

If you looked closely at the cars, SUV’s, vans and trucks departing the campus of Penn State University this past weekend it was pretty easy to know which ones belonged to the families of female students as opposed to males. Those driven by parents or girls themselves were jam packed to the point where you could barely see while the guy’s vehicles had enough room to fit extra passengers. That sums it up in a nutshell.

About 8 ½ months after we moved my daughter Alex into her freshman dorm as a somewhat apprehensive freshman I was back in Happy Valley to pick up a young woman who had a terrific first year away from home. You might recall that during the Christmas break we had moved her into a different dorm as she re-located onto a floor occupied by members of the Kappa Delta sorority she had pledged. That was in itself a chore and because the new room had some extra space it allowed her and her roommate Nicole to acquire more “stuff.” I could not believe what I was loading into my SUV as it filled every nook and cranny with clothes and an assortment of things that left me asking “why are we bringing that home?”
What a difference from when my son was a freshman when I think we filled a couple of suitcases and bins and that was pretty much it. Of course he did not have enough shoes to open a store and clothes that could not possibly have all been worn. As a matter of fact I do recall him telling his mother that a few pairs of jeans would be the staple of the wardrobe and as long as there was always a clean pair then you were good to go.

Anyway we managed to get almost everything in my SUV although a couple of things were left behind as donations simply because we had no place to put them.
Alex said tearful goodbyes to her sorority sisters but they have plans to get together over the summer, starting with Memorial Day weekend. Now she is home which means noise is back in the house which I am grateful for as I really missed the craziness that goes with having a teenager around. Of course check back with me in a few weeks and I will probably be counting the days until she goes back.

(note: there was no Hometown View on Friday, May 6)

No comments: