Friday, July 22, 2011

32 Years At WOBM

A little of this and a little of that on the hottest day of the year!

I’m not exactly sure of the date but I believe tomorrow is my 32nd anniversary at WOBM. Things certainly have changed from that July day when I walked into the Bayville building as a 23-year old expecting this would be a mere pit stop on my way to fame and fortune. Obviously my crew did not do a great job because I’m still stuck on pit row but I guess the good news is my car is still running. Like anything else there have been highs and lows, positives and negatives, good times and bad. I’ve seen hundreds of people come and go…some I was glad to say good bye to and others whose departure was a sad occasion. I’ve gone through ownership changes, including one right now but my key still gets me in the building and my office each day. Most importantly, through it all I still really like what I do and maybe, just maybe I’ll be here for year #33 next July.

The Holbrook Little League All-Stars have reached the championship round of the Section 3 Tournament in Tinton Falls. The 12-year olds from Jackson beat North Howell 5-1 Thursday night behind the four-hit pitching effort of Andrew Trent.
Holbrook, who won their first District 18 title just last week move into the championship game Saturday night against the winner of tonight’s loser’s bracket final between North Howell and Woodbridge American. Should Holbrook win the sectional they would go on to the state tournament in Monroe Township.

The BlueClaws are in the midst of a nice home stand and tomorrow night they will honor fallen Lakewood police officer Christopher Matlosz and host a fundraiser in his name. The 27-year old Matlosz was killed in the line of duty in January and before tomorrow night’s 7:05 game against Augusta he will be honored during a pre-game ceremony plus BlueClaws players will wear Lakewood Police Department hats during the game. In addition $3 from every ticket sold will go to “Holding Onto Hope,” a foundation set up by Matlosz’s fiancée Kelly Walsifer. Special tee-shirts will also be sold at the game.

No comments: