Friday, December 7, 2007

5 Star Dinner

I don’t usually make the “A list” when it comes to invitations to fancy events so I would like to share with you the menu for a luncheon I attended Thursday.

The Hors d’ Oeuvres included Amish Pretzel Crusted mini Crab cakes, Dim Sum Pork, Sesame Crusted Seared Tuna and a Sushi Station. Entrees were
Grilled Petit Filet Mignon Oscar, Crispy Seared Salmon with Risotto Cakes and White Truffle Oil, Oven Roasted Chicken Breast stuffed with Prosciutto
And an Eastern Shore Seafood Sachet which included a Rock Lobster Claw,
Shrimp, Sea Scallop and King Crab with Fennel. The desserts sounded so good I refused to even go in the room where they were displayed over fear that I would not be able to pass. Let me add that the presentation of everything was simply marvelous and the taste matched that.

By now you obviously want to know where this fine dining experience took place. That would be the Jackson Center of the Ocean County Vocational Technical School which hosted a Salute the Media Luncheon Reception as a way to thank the local media for their positive coverage of the school district. And I forgot to mention this gourmet lunch was prepared by students from the Culinary Arts Program from the Brick center, one of six located throughout the county. Before eating we got a tour of the Jackson center in which we saw cabinet making, students learning how to service cars and some doing collision repair….we were then entertained by some wonderful singers from the Performing Arts Academy which is another part of the Vocational Technical Schools.

All in all it was very impressive…a description that describes the entire program which prepares students for jobs in over 30 different fields.

Thursday was a perfect example of why it’s so tough to not gain weight over the holidays. I somehow landed an invitation to the Holiday Celebration at OceanFirst Bank at their main branch on Hooper Avenue in Toms River. I managed to pass on what looked like a wonderful array of food but did take part in wine tasting. The question I was most asked was, “what are you doing here?” which again proves I’m not an “A list” invite.
After leaving there I spent some time with my father at Saint Barnabas Assisted Living’s Holiday reception for families in Lakewood. A very nice event and a good way to end a busy but fulfilling day.

No comments: