Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fast Food Frustration

Last week I made my annual visit to Karen Tramontano’s 5th grade classroom at Berkeley Township Elementary School as part of their Celebrity Reader program. It was my last appearance with her as the teacher as she’s retiring at the end of the year but I vowed to continue to be part of the program after negotiating a cup of coffee in future visits. Anyway Mrs. Trammontano asked about how I come up with topics for the Hometown View each day and what do I do when there’s a morning in which I really have nothing. Today is that day although I’m going to fall back on something I discussed with the 5th graders, who were pretty sharp.

I don’t even remember how it came up but I talked about the frustration of
drive-thru restaurants and also ordering take out food in which it seems more likely you will NOT get exactly what you wanted. There’s no reason to name names but why is it so difficult to get everything you ordered. It really becomes a problem if you ask for something like no pickles on your cheeseburger…as a matter of fact there’s a decent chance you won’t even get cheese on your cheeseburger. Also is it me or does it seem like at least half the time you have to ask for napkins. Maybe that’s just a way to save money in these troubled economic times.

Incorrect orders are certainly not limited to fast food places and I’ve been a victim plenty of times to the screwed-up pick up order. Usually I discover this AFTER I have brought the food home and then my wife rips me for not checking the order. I just can’t bring myself to going through the bag to check and see if there is salad dressing…or even the salad that we ordered.
I guess I have too much faith in the people you do business with but I admit
that it’s almost a must to check before heading home. The worst is when you’re missing something significant, like the main part of the meal and you call the restaurant in which they casually tell you to come back. However it’s 15 minutes away, there’s traffic and you just can’t get in the car so you suffer…or simply don’t eat what you really wanted.

Well I see my time is up and I made it through another day. As for tomorrow….no problem as I will help you with your NCAA Basketball bracket. If you don’t know what that is…please listen anyway.

No comments: