Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Having A Female Doctor

One of the things I’ve talked about on numerous occasions is how men and women are really different and it drives me crazy that so many people can’t seem to understand that. We are not just different in physical appearance but in the way we think and act about everything and anything….its what separates the sexes.

Let me give you one example because it involves me personally. I happen to have a female as my primary care physician which surprises many people when I mention this. Of course it’s common for women to have male doctors but it seems that it’s a small percentage of men who would choose to have a woman. I have to assume that there are many more male doctors and for a long time women did not have much choice whether it be for their family doctor or their Gynecologist. Even so females in most cases seem very comfortable having a male for their doctor.

However we men are a different breed and a large number of us would never consider having a woman as our regular physician. I was pretty much in that category until a few years ago when for insurance reasons I had to select a primary care physician. I didn’t have one as I would only go the doctor when I was sick, which was not often and in those cases I would use one of those neighborhood medical centers. Anyway I had no choice but to select from a group of doctors in my insurance plan and when I called one who had been recommended to me it turned out they were not accepting new patients.
They did give me the name of a doctor who was nearby and sure enough she was in my plan. She was the initial problem…at least for me. I had never gone to a female doctor and the thought did not sit well until I mentioned it to my wife Jane. I was consumed by the thought of having to bare it all in front of my new doc which she laughed at then reminded me her longtime Gynecologist was indeed a man who had seen everything.

So it was that about five years that Rebecca Rudd became my doctor and I have to admit that I really like her although I’m not yet 100% comfortable,
which is my shortcoming not hers. It’s still funny that when I mention this to male friends they often express shock that I go to a woman for my regular check-ups. But as I tell them there is an upside….she has very thin fingers.
Do I need to say anything else?

No comments: