Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Adventures In Driving Around Ocean County

I understand road rage more every day and honestly I’m surprised there are not more instances of drivers just losing it. As a matter of fact if you want to witness up close and personal man’s driving inhumanity to man then just check out what’s happening on Route 37, just west of Community Medical Center in Toms River.

That roadway has been a problem for about a week because of a giant sinkhole and for a small stretch just west of Hospital Drive there is one lane instead of three. Signs warn motorists that the left lanes are closed and for the most part drivers move to the right lane where things certainly can back up for a bit. Most understand this and patiently creep along until the roadway goes back to three lanes. But there are those who obviously feel their time is more valuable than others so what they do is attempt to stay in the left lane until the very last moment. Those low-life’s pass car after car and then put on their right signal and attempt to squeeze in front of those who have formed a single lane well before.

I live for the moment when it’s my car they are trying to cut in front of because there is no way that’s happening. I know this is immature and not what should happen but sometimes you reach that point where it really doesn’t matter.
What I would love to see is a traffic officer just standing there and writing tickets for those rotten, no good, you know what drivers who could make the situation better for everyone by just moving into the single lane like others.

While on the subject of driving I do not remember being told that busses have the right to do anything they want when they want to. I will admit I’m not really familiar with the laws governing busses or I have forgotten what I learned during Driver’s Ed. many years ago. When a New Jersey Transit Bus traveling on Route 9 pulls over to pick up passengers shouldn’t they have to check and make sure the road is clear before proceeding again?

Yesterday I began passing a bus that was stopped and all of a sudden it started again and nearly forced me into the oncoming lane. I really don’t know if I was wrong or not but I do know the bus was bigger.

No comments: